Adam Wilson's Curriculum Vitae
August 2017 - Current : Atlanta, GA
Providing data and technology support and implementation for a variety of NGOs in the public health area. Recent & current projects include:
- Map-based tooling using PostGIS and Mapbox for custom visualizations of disease monitoring and treatment progress
- AWS platform & security development for a variety of web applications
- A trachoma surgery tracking and monitoring system in CommCare, Metabase and other tools currently being used in several countries
- A database & Excel-driven import/export data management system to allow future-proof submissions tracking and reporting for global donations and supplies programs
- A neglected tropical disease DHIS2 system supporting country-wide historic and current data collection and management
- A maps-based mobile web survey tool
- An offline-capabable inventory calculator for medical supply needs in low resource environments
Health Informaticist, GHD ICT Tech Lead
August 2016 - July 2017 : Atlanta, GA
Worked with a small group to streamline technology deployment and implementation to accelerate and improve public health projects. We implemented a strategy of build over buy and leaned heavily into the existing and rising ecosystem of tools in global health, specifically DHIS2.
VP Technology, Time Out Labs
April 2014 - July 2016 : Atlanta, GA
Maintaining and updating HUGECITY technology as the Time Out World platform. Working on a variety of upcoming products and technologies as the technical lead of Time Out labs.
Co-founder and CTO
April 2011 - April 2014 : Atlanta, GA
Designed and implemented Facebook events aggregator and recommendation engine HUGECITY. Used by millions of people around the world to find stuff going on wherever they are. Hugh Malkin and I built the site including a dedicated mobile site, iOS application, JSON API, and embeddable events widget. We currently list over 18 million events all over the world.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
December 2006 - April 2011 : Atlanta, GA & AZ Remote
Contracting through Kratos Defense and Securities Solutions for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention designed, implemented, maintained, and supported enterprise services and web applications for direct and inter-state emergency alerting and notification.
- Designed and promoted a system for inter-state cascade alerting to replace an antiquated one. The solution saved implementation costs, support costs, and deployment logistics. The solution was made into a Public Health Information Network (PHIN) standard.
- Initiated and lead an effort updating the technology platform from a Java 1.4/J2EE/Weblogic 8 stack to a Java 1.6/EJB3/JBoss 5 platform, cutting development times and improving software quality.
- Implemented an Agile, Continuous integration environment using Maven, Unit Testing, and Hudson CI platform. Helped move to Scrum methodology.
- Personally supported all the integration work for the PHIN Cascade Alerting System, integrating state and local health alerting systems with the CDC's and each other.
February 2006 - December 2006 : Atlanta, GA
Developed a variety of web applications, from E-Commerce applications (store-side and powerful administrator tools) to custom workflow solutions. Was involved in the development process from design to deployment.
- Played a major part in the design, implementation, and customer communication for a multi-user, multi-level, multi-location advertising production and revenue analysis workflow application.
- Simultaneously integrated web service solutions on a project with shippers UPS, FedEx, and the US Postal Service.
NASA Ames Research Center
Graduate Research Assistant
January 2005 - December 2005 : Atlanta,GA & Mountain View, CA
Developed prototype interface and software for NASA's next-generation component-based mission control software (Mission Control Technologies)
- Developed feature-rich system in Squeak Smalltalk (Tweak interface).
- Implemented innovative component-based system and helped with the design of its interaction model.
- Worked with experienced Human Interface Engineers to prototype ideas for implementation in actual Java software (currently in development).
- Worked as an intern at NASA Ames for Summer 2005. Worked as a Graduate Research Assistant for the rest of the year.
Georgia Institute of Technology
Summer 2002 - 2003 : Atlanta, GA
As a graduate assistant, developed student multimedia programming environment for Georgia Tech's experimental Introduction to Media Computation course.
- Led team of 5 undergrad and grad students to upgrade and integrate all course software (media tools and programming environment) for classroom deployment.
- Developed assignment turn-in system.
- Maintained and supported the software being used by ~400 students at several academic institutions.
Data processor & programmer
Summer 2000 - 2001 : Atlanta, GA
Data processor & programmer for medical record database merging.
- Processed state medical records delivered in a variety of different formats and data languages for merge into corporate databases.
- Developed tools to help data processors verify and check data before database merges.
EducationB.S. & M.S. Computer Science
Georgia Institute of Technology